UmpBump is doing it, so why don’t I?
My preseason picks:
- AL East: Boston – Feeling pretty good about this one. Solid team, little drama, lots of depth. Good for them
- AL Central: Minnesota – The Twins are 4 games back (2nd) of the Tigers … and to my knowledge, the Tigers have an outfield of replacement players right now. I’m thinking the Twins will pull this out yet.
- AL West: Oakland – My predicted full season win% for the A’s: .512. Current win%: .449. Yet only 6 games out. Still, in 4th. Not a great pick, but the AL West is a mess.
- NL East: Philadelphia – 1.5 games up on the Mets … and we all know that means that Phils will win the division by 10 games.
- NL Central: St. Louis – They are winning the division! Up by 1 game over Milwaukee. Take that, Cubs fans (not that I have anything against you).
- NL West: Arizona – Unlike the A’s miss, the D-Backs not only suck, but also reside in the division with the MLB leader in wins (Dodgers). That leaves the D-Backs in 5th … down by 17 games … in mid June. Oops.
- AL Wild Card: Tampa Bay – The Rays are 2 games back of a very crowded wild card. Anybody’s guess how it will end up, but the Rays still have a very good shot.
- NL Wild Card: Chicago – See, I don’t hold anything against the Cubbies. It also helps they’re only 1.5 games back of the wild card lead as well.
Some player awards:
- AL MVP: Grady Sizemore – The bad elbow hasn’t really helped the cause.
- AL Cy Young: Daisuke Matsuzaka – HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHA. I think I just died a little inside.
- AL Rookie of the Year: Matt Wieters – He may have to defer this award to teammate Nolan Reimold.
- NL MVP: Aramis Ramirez – Call Aramis’ and Grady’s injury “the curse of Erik’s MVP picks”.
- NL Cy Young: Rich Harden – I’m guessing I won’t be getting any calls from ESPN on my baseball picking prowess.
- NL Rookie of the Year: Jordan Schafer – If he hit the ball, this would be much easier.